Ergotron Workfit D Review
If you already have a computer desk, you won’t need this but a converter. But if you are planning to buy a computer desk, then consider this one. The Ergotron Workfit D is an adjustable height desk that allows up to 20″ of height adjustment. The minimum height is 30.6 inches” and it can go up to a maximum of 50″. The work surface area is 47.6″ x 23.5″. The weight capacity is 65 lbs while the whole sit stand desk weighs 85 lbs.
The movement from one height to another is smooth with a one-touch adjustment using their patented CF motion technology. Once you get the tension right, it is easy and quick to lift it up with no tools and brute strength required. You just need the press the height adjustment lever on the right and lift the platform up. This means it can accommodate various users and you can freely move it anytime you like from sitting to standing and back.
At the time of this Ergotron Workfit D review, the desk is available in birch, light grey and walnut colors. The desk top is made of MDF with a melamine surface while the legs are made of steel.
Pros & Cons
The positive aspects of the Ergotron Workfit D are:
- Easy to install – The instructions are clear and you can get it assembled within 30 minutes.
- Sturdy – The desk feels sturdy and can withstand a considerable amount of weight.
- Durable – Most buyers do not have problems with the desk mechanism even after 2 years of use.
- Large work area – You can fit 2 monitors onto the desk with space leftover for paperwork.
The cons are:
- Minimum height is too high – This complaint has been raised by quite a few users. The sitting position is too high, especially for short people.
- Need to buy add ons – Accessories like a keyboard tray may be necessary for some to allow for a bigger workspace. Some people also need it because the sitting height is too high to use the keyboard comfortably if it is on the desk.
- Non-motorised – You still need to lift up the platform when you press the lever. Although not much effort is required to lift it up, some people do prefer a motorised sit to stand desk that don’t require any lifting to be done.
The Ergotron Workfit D is expensive. You can definitely get a motorised and crank-operated standing desk for less money. But this Ergotron adjustable height workstation seems like a worthwhile investment with its sturdiness, durability and ease of height adjustment. Between the risk of failure of a motorised desk and the hassle of working a crank, this Ergotron height adjustable workstation is a perfect third alternative.
Ergotron Workfit A Review
While the Ergotron Workfit D is a standing desk, the Workfit A is a swing arm. So, you can use this to convert your existing work desk into a stand up desk. How it works is to clamp the arm to the back or side of the desk. When not in use, you can fold up the keyboard tray and swing it out of the way to free up your desk space.
The Ergotron Workfit A can support 2 monitors with a recommended screen size of 24″. The height is adjustable by 20″ while the display section can adjust independently by 5″. There is a work surface of 22.63″ x 9.75″ and a keyboard tray of 27″ x 9.75″ which will fit most keyboards and mouse devices. Swinging the arm and adjusting the height is easy with smooth one-touch movements.
Pros & Cons
The pros of the Ergotron Workfit A include:
- Flexible – The arm swings towards you or out of the way with ease. There is a lot of flexibility since you can move it up and down as well as left and right.
- Easy to move – Whether you want to raise it up and push it to the side, it can be done very smoothly using one hand.
But the not so good points are:
- Hard to install – Some people find this difficult to install. Help may be required to get it done.
- Need adequate clearance space – You need to have sufficient clearance around your desk to enjoy the maximum benefits of this stand up desk. When it is right in front of you, the keyboard tray juts out which will push you back further to use it. If you want to reach the back of your desk, you will need to push it out of the way to the side. So, you will also need enough clearance space around the sides.
- Bounces when typing – Some people find the whole structure bounces when you are typing. It is not a big problem for some but if you are the type who tends to hit hard on the keyboard, this will force you to change your habit.
- Distance to screen not adjustable – Some users find that the distance between the keyboard tray to the monitor is too close. Different people will have different preference on the distance to the screen but this is not adjustable for the Workfit A.
You need a big desk if you want to have the Ergotron Workfit A installed. This is because it is hard to reach the back of your desk with the monitors blocking your way when you have this in the centre. So, things like your phone and desk lamp need to be at the side for it to be easily reachable and this is only possible if you have a large desk to begin with. But as the Ergotron Workfit A review shows, it is a very flexible swing arm adjustable height standing desk converter. You just need to have enough space for it to swing around.
Ergotron Workfit S Review
The Ergotron Workfit S has a similar concept to the Workfit A. But instead of clamping it to the back of the desk, the Workfit S is designed to clamp to the front. It also doesn’t have the swing arm that enables it to move to the sides. You can only raise and lower the keyboard tray and the display.
This model can hold 2 22″ to 24″ screens. The adjustable height is 18″ while the LCD display can adjust another 4.8″. The keyboard tray can be installed at 9 locations depending on where you want it facing in relation to the 2 screen monitors. The keyboard tray area is 27″ x 9″. There is also a work surface area of 23″ x 15″ which is above the keyboard tray.
Pros & Cons
The pros and cons are about the same as the Ergotron Workfit A. It is very easy to raise and lower the workstation once you get the tension right during installation. It is also fairly sturdy and well-made. But the cons are part of your desk where this is installed would be unusable and you will also need enough space behind you for the keyboard tray that extends out. Like the Workfit A, the screen distance for the Workfit S could also be too near to your liking.
Ergotron Workfit A vs Workfit S
At the time of this Ergotron Standing Desk reviews, the prices for both Workfit A and S are about the same. If that is the case, shouldn’t you buy the Workfit A since it is more flexible with its arm movements? Well, not exactly because it depends on how much clearance space you have. Do you have the space to push the stand up desk to the sides? It does have the capability to go around your desk. So, if you don’t have that kind of space around you, it defeats the purpose of having the Ergotron Workfit A. Furthermore, the Workfit S has a simpler set up and not everyone needs the flexibility and range of movement as the Workfit A.
The bottomline is both will work well as a sit and stand computer desk. You just need to decide whether raise and lower is adequate for your needs or you also require the side movements. That should be the determining factor in your Ergotron Workfit A vs Workfit S buying decision. If you find that both are too cumbersome to install, you can always go the simple way and buy the Ergotron Workfit TL whereby you can place it on any table top and get ready to work sitting down or standing up.